Hi, I’m Jose!
I’m a London-based internal recruiter, host of the Coffee with a Recruiter podcast and blogger.
I write about:
All things recruitment and talent, including market updates, structured interviews, sustainable hiring practices, company culture, employer branding and more.
Subscribe for bi-weekly, five-minute reads on recruitment, HR/people and self-development.
- Five ways recruiters can do more with fewer resourcesOver the last few months, startups and big tech companies have shifted from fast-growth hiring to layoffs and efficiency.Continue reading “Five ways recruiters can do more with fewer resources”
- How hiring top candidates can hurt team performanceand what to do about it As a recruiter, hiring managers would always tell me to bring high-status candidatesContinue reading “How hiring top candidates can hurt team performance”
- Why you should hire candidates that fake answers during interviewsShould you reject candidates if they fake answers during interviews, or does faking make them good candidates? According toContinue reading “Why you should hire candidates that fake answers during interviews”
- Three traits you need to assess when interviewing candidates for a jobWhat should you assess when interviewing candidates? Intuitively, we test software engineers on their code or pilots on theirContinue reading “Three traits you need to assess when interviewing candidates for a job”
- Why being a “friendly recruiter” matters, according to scienceI’ve always wondered if I should be a friendly recruiter with candidates. Does it matter if I’m friendly? OrContinue reading “Why being a “friendly recruiter” matters, according to science”
- Inclusive workplaces with Kaylee Parkinson (Head of People – Papercup)Our podcast guest today is Kaylee Parkinson from Papercup! Kaylee is an experienced people / HR manager with aContinue reading “Inclusive workplaces with Kaylee Parkinson (Head of People – Papercup)”
- New year’s resolutions and survivorship biasFirst of all, apologies for the lack of episodes and blogs throughout November and December. I took a breakContinue reading “New year’s resolutions and survivorship bias”
- The best way to interview candidates, according to scienceI wanted to talk about something I’m very passionate about on my new podcast episode, and that’s the scienceContinue reading “The best way to interview candidates, according to science”
- Redundancy and finding a new roleI was going through some old notes I had written earlier this year, and found a list with myContinue reading “Redundancy and finding a new role”
- State of the internal recruitment market with Peter Miller – HawkwoodThe internal recruitment market has undergone quite a shakeup over the last few months, and I wanted to bringContinue reading “State of the internal recruitment market with Peter Miller – Hawkwood”
- Four insights on building rapport with candidatesIt’s essential to build good relationships with candidates, but should we do that by asking them what their hobbiesContinue reading “Four insights on building rapport with candidates”
- Improving Referral Programmes with Nasser from IntrroWhat’s the best referral incentive, a 1000 pounds or company recognition? I had the pleasure of speaking with theContinue reading “Improving Referral Programmes with Nasser from Intrro”
- Tips on recruiting designersMark Hothi knows a thing or two about recruiting designers. He has over 15 years’ experience in recruitment and 10Continue reading “Tips on recruiting designers”
- Three leadership lessons I learned from Paul – BazaarvoiceIt takes a very specific type of leader to last more than 20 years in their profession and toContinue reading “Three leadership lessons I learned from Paul – Bazaarvoice”
- Job search tips for recruiters with Russell from Both Sides of the DeskRussell Ayles from Both Sides of the Desk joins us on the Coffee with a Recruiter podcast to discuss tips on howContinue reading “Job search tips for recruiters with Russell from Both Sides of the Desk”
- Here’s Why Sourcing Channel Effectiveness Is The Metric You Need To MeasurePicture this scenario – you’re paying £14,000+ a year on LinkedIn Job adverts that haven’t produced any hires. ScaryContinue reading “Here’s Why Sourcing Channel Effectiveness Is The Metric You Need To Measure”
- Why we love chefs and what recruiters can learn from themAs a London-based recruiter, I love my profession despite it having a reputation for unethical behaviour. Chefs, on theContinue reading “Why we love chefs and what recruiters can learn from them”
- Tough Managers and Rejected OffersApril Williams (HR expert) tells us how she overcame these challenges to recruit a Head of People on the Coffee withContinue reading “Tough Managers and Rejected Offers”